Our Bolton networking event is taking place in the amazingly beautiful pennine suite at the Last Drop Village Hotel and Spa. This wonderful hotel and village is steeped in rich history and has so much to offer, which is one of the many reasons we have handpicked this fabulous venue for one of the biggest Bolton networking events of the year.
A History of Orrell Fold
The last drop village as it is seen today was originally converted from a group of derelict 17th century farm buildings known as “Orrell Fold”. The name of “Orrell” dates back far beyond modern records, but it is generally believed that the Orrell family held the Manor of Turton from circa 1420, when the Lord of the Manor, John de Torbock, died and was succeeded by William Orrell. The title was then passed down through successive generations of the Orrell family, all of whom resided at Turton Tower.
In 1628 the Tower and its rights were sold to Humphrey Chetham and his family who then held the Lordship of Turton until the nineteenth century. The earliest know records of Orrell Fold date from the early part of the eighteenth century and name the then sitting tenant as one John Orrell. In 1763 he was hired by the township of Turton to hold parish offices. This meant that he was responsible for such activities as overseeing the poor and highways etc. This office ceased to exist in 1925.
Goose Cote Hill a neighbouring farm to Orrell Fold was bequested by Humphrey Chetham for the benefit of the poor and in 1748 John Orrell was appointed trustee of the farm which became the Turton Workhouse employing the poor of Turton on tasks such as handloom weaving. However in the 1820’s the growth of the mills in the area gradually rendered small cottage industries such as these obsolete.
On his death in 1778 John Orrell left the fold to his eldest son Isaac. There were three principal farmers and additional tenants who lived in the adjoining cottages. Isaac’s family remained at Orrell fold but when he died in 1822 his sons had no longer need of the farm and so the tenancy was passed on to his nephew Samuel Orrell.
By this time industry had began to mushroom and small self-sufficient areas like Orrell Fold were being deserted. The census of 1841 showed Orrell Fold to have a population of forty two being farmers, agricultural labourers, weavers, stone masons, cotton workers, quarrymen and their families. Most of the land was meadows or pastures where some oats and potatoes were grown and one of the cottages was a shop. By 1871 however the population or Orrell Fold had fallen to sixteen and several of the buildings were left unoccupied.
Samuel Orrell left the farm in the late 1860’s and his family moved to Atherton. His death in 1874 at the age of eighty two brought an end to the long line of Orrells in Turton. At the time of the twentieth century the Fold was occupied by John Crook who then sold the farm to the Stanford’s in 1911. At this time Orrell Fold extended across Hospital Road and as far West as Darwen Road. In 1920 the farm was sold again to William and Thomas Oddle but due to a misunderstanding regarding a land transaction the Stanford family who had continue to occupy the main farmhouse were allowed to live in the adjoining cottage rent free and here they remained for a further two years before purchasing a new farm. The Oddle brothers then occupied the main farmhouse for some time but when William married he moved to the cottage which is now Poppies Flower Shop.
In 1930 the Oddles sold out to Mr William Carr a well known farmer and race horse owner. He lived on a farm in the Dunscar area and used Orrell Fold mainly for stabling and exercising his horses. Orrell Fold then became largely unoccupied and the buildings fell into a state of neglect even though there were still horses stabled at the farm. Eventually in 1963 Mr Carr sold the derelict farm to Mr Carton Walker a man of considerable foresight who then began the task of creating the Last Drop Village.
Most visitors to the Last Drop are puzzled by the origins of its unusual name. Could it be that public hangings are rife? Or maybe the beer keeps running out? You are well assured that neither happens as in actual fact the name was suggested by Carton Walkers friends who offered him “the last drop” of a bottle of wine during a meal to celebrate the completion or works on the restaurant the first building to be completed in 1964.
The Facilities available
Over 12 meeting and event suites
Catering for all Meeting and events from 2 : 700
Large outdoor grounds ideal for team building or photographs in our manicured grounds
Our Largest suite is the Pennine suite, unobstructed room with tall ceilings, chandeliers and floor to ceiling windows – can hold banquets up to 450, training up to 700 perfect for larger meetings, dinner dances, exhibitions and weddings
Our traditional suite is the Penny Farthing suite with oak wooden beams and wood panelled walls making for the perfect fairy tale wedding venue,
Our Harmony suite is the perfect celebration suite a mix of historic and modern with outdoor patio, floor to ceiling windows, separate bar area
Licenced for civil ceremonies- Perfect year round Wedding venue
All Celebrations and events catered for – with baby showers and christenings
Christmas Party nights & Festive breaks
7 independent retail shops that includes a florists, hairdressers and toy shop
Onsite Tea shop and Drop Inn
our onsite tea shop is located in the heart of the village serving our famous homemade potato cakes, light bites, afternoon tea and ice cream. Perfect pit stop whilst walking or shopping in the village. Open 7 days a week
Our very own drop inn pub with traditional stone walls, wooden beams open at weekends, join us for Traditional Sunday lunch with hand carved meat and vegetarian options
Village spa- 8 beauty treatment rooms, 18m pool , hydropool, 5 thermal suites (sauna, rock sauna, halo room, steam room and aromatherapy steam room) 42 station Technogym. Classes and personal trainers
Monthly events – Mother’s Day, Easter , family fun days, party nights,
courtyard bar and restaurant
open to all 7 days a week
our split courtyard bar with traditional wooden beams and outdoor balcony, is a great place to meet during the day for a business meeting or a light bite in the evening the place to meet pre dinner and enjoy the live sport on the large screen Tv
courtyard restaurant serves an international array of delights with an ever-changing seasonal menu that also operates a Vegan menu.
Perfect for a nice night out or to celebrate in style